Just Driving > Driving Lessons Articles > Sheffield Driving Lessons Articles > How to apply for a refund of your vehicle tax

How to apply for a refund of your vehicle tax

You can get a refund on your vehicle tax if you are currently registered as the vehicle keeper. There are a number of reasons why somebody may no longer need their tax disc and the Driving Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will want to know this.
You can get a refund on your tax disc if:

  • You have sold you car and you’re no longer the registered vehicle keeper
  • If you have scrapped your car so it's no longer on the road (you will need to declare SORN)
  • Taken off the road (again you will declare SORN)
  • You have transferred the car into someone else’s name and you're no longer the vehicle keeper
  • Exported your car to a different country, UK car tax will no longer be valid
  • Retaxed your car in a nil value class

You need to post your refund application before the first day of the month that you want to claim your refund.  You need to make sure that you state in your application why you want a refund on your tax disc or your application will be refused, in addition to this the vehicle owner’s name must be an exact match on the application form as it’s registered on the vehicle registration certificate.

Now you know when you can refund your tax disc, you need to know how you can apply for a refund. You can apply for a refund with or without your tax disc.

With a tax disc

  • Download the V14 from the DVLA
  • Print and sign your form
  • Attach your tax disc to the V14 form
  • Then post your form to the DVLA in Swansea, SA99 1AL

Without a tax disc (If it has been stolen or you have lost it)

  • Phone the DVLA in order to get a V33 form
  • Fill the V33 form in
  • Send it off to the DVLA in Swansea, SA99 1AL

Now you know when and how to refund your tax disc you will probably be wondering how much money you will get back. For every full month you have left on your tax disc you can claim the money back. A six month tax disc charges an extra ten percent due to extra administration charges and this can’t be claimed back. Plus if you apply without a tax disc an administration fee of £7 will be taken away from the final refund.

Although this is something that you don’t have to worry about on your driving lessons Sheffield it might be something you need to go through later on in your driving life, read carefully and know what to do when refunding your vehicle tax.

To check if we have any available Driving Lessons in Sheffield, simply call us on 0800 783 4803 or enter your postcode below.

Check for Driving Lessons Sheffield availability

Just Driving the perfect choice for driving tuition.
Call free on 0800 783 4803