Just Driving > Driving School Articles > York Driving Schools Articles > Renewing your driving licence after being disqualified

Renewing your driving licence when disqualified

After your period of disqualification is lifted you must apply for a new driving licence before you start driving again. You have 56 days to apply for a new licence before the disqualification ends.

Your driving skills may be slightly rusty after been banned for a long period of time so you might want to take some refresher driving lessons York, or whichever area you live in the UK,  in order to get your driving skills back up to scratch.

The DVLA (Driving and Vehicle Licensing agency) will send you a renewal reminder in the form of a driving licence application form 56 days before your disqualification ends. This form, D27P is the form that you will need to fill out in order to recover your licence.

If you don’t hold a British licence then you will not have to fill out the form and a non- GB licence will be sent out to you on the day that your disqualification expires. It is important that the DVLA are informed if you obtain a new address because the address they have on their records is where they will send the licence to if you have been disqualified.

To get your photo card licence you will need to complete the following things:

  • Complete the D27P form (driving licence application for renewal after disqualification)
  • Enclose the payment that they show on their reminder
  • Send your completed package back to the DVLA at Swansea SA99 1AB

If in the time that you are disqualified from driving you decide to change your name additional things will have to be sent along with the package stated above:

  • A completed D1 from, which you can retrieve from a post office branch
  • As well as an original document confirming that you have actually changed your name

Although this happens rarely you must be informed in case you think that the DVLA will automatically become aware of this. You will also be alerted by a message on your D27P form if a renewal photo is needed.

Now you have applied for your photo card part of your licence you also need to apply for the paper part. For this you will need to do the following:

  • Complete the D27P form
  • Enclose a passport type photo and the payment on the reminder
  • Provide original documentations confirming your identity, e.g. birth certificate and passport
  • Send all of these to the DVLA at Swansea, SA99 1AB

If you complete all the above you will be back in your car in no time at all. When taking driving lessons York you should be taught safely enough never to receive a ban at all, so hopefully you will never need to apply for your licence after disqualification.

If you are looking to book Driving Lessons York go to our page or call 0800 783 4803.

Check for Driving Schools York availability

Just Driving the perfect choice for driving tuition.
Call free on 0800 783 4803